5 Toys from Childhood - All Together NowPosted by: Angela Yen on December 20, 2016 / 4:36 PM
Our current feature exhibition, All Together Now: Vancouver Collectors and Their Worlds features 20 incredible collections including more than 2,000 nostagia filled vintage toys from collector Angus Bungay.
Children and adults alike love browsing the shelves upon shelves of retro toys. They either reinforce the longevity and popularity of some these iconic characters - Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles, The Simpsons, Batman etc. - or they bring back fond memories of playing with these exact same toys.
In spirit of the holidays we've picked five toys directly from our childhood.
1) I distinctly remember having the mail carrier Smurf holding an envelope with a heart on it and also the Smurf playing the horn which is in the photo below.
2) With two older brothers action figures were no stranger to my childhood. The Batman collection reminds of a very cool Batmobile set my brother had and watching Fox Sunday Morning cartoons with him.
3) Though I never had actual Simpsons toys growing up, the TV show was a big part of my upbringing. As a die hard fan of the show it was very neat to see the extensive line of Simpsons toys which I never knew existed.
4) Seeing this Chicken McNugget toy was very exciting because it was toy I kept recalling as a teen and young adult but had almost forgotten what the toy looked like. I've always liked small containers and boxes so I remember liking that the box actually opened and was functional, and that the nuggets could be taken in and out from it, instead of them just being glued/attached to the bottom.
5) Also from the McDonalds collection, this little guy gave me nightmares as a kid! I'm glad I was able to confront him and face my fears. Though he's still a little scary.